306: Orphaned Projects
Title text: His date works for Red Hat, who hired a coach for her, too. She advised her to 'rent lots of movies like Hitch. Guys love those.'
The comic is about orphaned Linux projects, because volunteer FOSS developers will often leave their projects aside whenever something of greater importance to them requires more time (like dating relationships, tiredness, sickness etc.). Some companies/foundations, while not needing these developers, can greatly benefit from community-maintained projects. The Debian Team uses a paradoy of the famous Yoda quote from the first Star Wars movie in the first panel "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering" by replacing it with dating and orphaned projects.
Hitch is a romantic comedy in which Will Smith plays a "dating coach", who helps men to have successful dates with women. To avoid losing their developers, both companies have opted to hire Hitch-like advisors to give them intentionally bad dating advice, thus sabotaging their relationship before it could become distracting: The man is advised to criticize his date in an attempt to appear more intelligent (something very unlikely to work, but nonetheless attempted by some men), and in the title text, we learn that the woman is being similarly advised to watch lots of romantic comedies (bad advice because stereotypically guys do not love those).
- [Voices are coming from behind a door with a sign that reads "Debian Linux HQ".]
- First voice: Problem: One of the volunteer developers has a date this weekend. Dates lead to romance, romance leads to orphaned projects.
- Second voice: What's the plan?
- First voice: We're hiring him a relationship coach. He's like Will Smith in "Hitch," but he only gives bad advice.
- [Black Hat is talking to Cueball, who is standing in from of a mirror.]
- Black Hat: Okay, remember: The key to conversation is constructive criticism.
- Black Hat: You need to show you're smart enough to solve her problems.
- Cueball: Makes sense.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!