Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Black Hat and Cueball are standing inside a room behind a window hearing an obnoxious car outside playing loud music with deep bass. Black Hat created a machine that is able to blow out the car's speakers (by playing the same soundwaves back at them, but with the phase slightly offset, the phase difference will set up a resonance in the car's speakers big enough for them to destroy themselves). In a stroke of evil, he then starts playing Shirley Ellis' The Name Game to show how annoying the man was acting. At the end Black Hat probably tops this by playing the song Macarena.
The title text refers to comic 316: Loud Sex, where an elliptical reflector is used to focus sound waves.
- [Black Hat and Cueball are standing in a room with one window. Black Hat is pushing a box with an elliptical dish on top towards the window.]
- THUMPA THUMPA
- Cueball: The bass from that car is driving me nuts.
- Black Hat: Me too. Give me a hand here.
- [The dish is aimed out the window; Black Hat plugs the device into the wall.]
- Cueball: I'm afraid to ask.
- Black Hat: The system detects bass rhythms and floods the target with a phase-shifted replica signal.
- Black Hat: The resonance should blow out their speakers.
- [The side of a building. The dish of the device is visible through a window, emitting sound waves.]
- THUMPA THUMPA
- [Back in the room.]
- Black Hat: Speakers down. Now flip that red switch.
- [Cueball does so with a "click."]
- [Back to the outside view, more sound waves.]
- SHIRLEY SHIRLEY BO BIRLEY BANANA FANNA FO FIRLEY
- Cueball: You're horrifying.
- Black Hat: Okay, now throw the switch labeled "Macarena".
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
Okay, I have to ask this, and this as good a place as any. Am I the only one who reads Black Hat (and Danish) with an affected English accent? Anonymous 21:04, 3 December 2013 (UTC) 188.8.131.52 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Talk to someone in Scotland, and then some Australian, South African and finally compare Texas with LA and NY, or the London suburbs. English is still not easy, especially for non native speakers. But Black Hat and Danish are quite sure talking at some American English slangs. --Dgbrt (talk) 23:25, 3 December 2013 (UTC)
Firstly, is this destructive resonance thing actually possible for car speakers? (note: don't worry, I'm not going to try this myself, just wondering)... secondly, I hadn't thought about accents before. I'm English but all the characters have my own internal voice... maybe I should put some effort in and give them all different accents (wouldn't know which accents but the aforementioned affected-english for Black Hat doesn't work in my head, as good as that suggestion was). Squirreltape (talk) 14:38, 14 February 2014 (UTC)
Maybe I should clarify: I am American and, in my part at least, British accents are considered "snooty" and "superior", a trope Black Hat would gladly take advantage of, as would Danish, for they do consider themselves vastly superior the "commoners" and "plebs" around them (why else would they be so casually sadistic?) YMMV on the stereotypes, but that is the one I am familiar with and the one I assume they use. That said I, personally, do not think the British themselves are "snooty", but am guilty of affecting such an accent when feeling snootily sarcastic. Anonymous 08:02, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
I didnt have an accent in my head for these stick figures, but now i have them talking like the people from "i love lucy," with black sounding like fred mertz. 184.108.40.206 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
Okej, he says to throw the switch labelled "Macarina", but it doesn't say that that's actually what it does. This is Black Hat we're talking about. I wouldn't trust his labeling if I were you.220.127.116.11 00:59, 8 June 2014 (UTC)
How would the machine work against the loud girlfriend/elliptical dish? It seems to me that creating a phase-shifted replica of her moans would be pretty much impossible. If it were, what would the resonance do, blow out the girlfriend's lungs? How would that feel to her? --18.104.22.168 21:37, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
- Possibly for destroying the elliptical dish. The problem this machine would not resonate with the elliptical but the GF as you stated. Maybe he just uses it to play annoying songs at them. -- Flewk (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)