Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Black Hat encounters a person who is wearing not one, but two, black hats. Black Hat is not a person to be trifled with, but from his reaction, he apparently believes that Two Black Hats represents a considerable danger to him.
If a black hat is assumed to be akin to a badge of rank, then Two Black Hats certainly is superior to him in the capacity and willingness to do evil. Alternatively, and even more worrying, Two Black Hats could be someone who has the desire and the ability to acquire black hats, which he then wears like a badge of honor.
With all this in mind, Black Hat edges away, keeping Two Black Hats in sight at all times.
Title text is just: ...
This may represent the slow-motion pause during which Black Hat's nefarious life flashes before his eyes, as he considers his impending doom.
- [Black Hat is walking.]
- [Black Hat stops in front of another man with two Black Hats.]
- [After two panels, the original Black Hat steps backward, shuddering slightly.]
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
I have a dissenting opinion, I think it's an electrostatics joke, with black hat (who is negative), meets a person of the same charge and more mass, so he is repelled by an electromagnetic field (likes repel)
--22.214.171.124 15:57, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
- I am sure this is a mystic power pushing Black Hat back at the last frame. There must be a film or video game with a powerful man wearing two hats or something similar. I have no idea. --Dgbrt (talk) 19:40, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
- What, you mean like Team Fortress 2, and its infamous Gentle Manne of Leisure? 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- I disagree with the above discussion: I believe the wavy lines shown in the final frame are simply to indicate that Black Hat is slowly backing away. If any mystical or eletrostatic forces were involved, the long delay in the 3rd and 4th frames, during which Black Hat is sizing up Black Hat 2, would NOT be appropriate. --MisterSpike (talk) 18:25, 26 June 2013 (UTC)
I believe it is significant that the black hat has its own black hat. Nobody mentioned this. It's not merely that the gentleman is wearing two hats. This effectively squares the humor level.
--188.8.131.52 dobennett 23:37, 17 May 2013 (UTC)
I think the dual-BHG first had only one hat (I mean, why would you wear two hats?), but gained one from another BHG (ala Cube Zero and the watches), which is why DBHG is clearly a threat to BHGs.
--184.108.40.206 14:54, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
Is it at all possible that Black Hat believes that there is something wrong with a person who wears two black hats and that they should be avoided at all costs?
-- 220.127.116.11 (talk) 1:27, 3 january 2015 (UTC) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)