825: Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)
|Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)|
Title text: Guest comic by Jeffrey Rowland of Overcompensating/Wigu. Jeffrey is famous as the picture on the Wikipedia article on 'Necrosis'.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: There is more to it than what is below. In the transcript - why should it be Randall and not Black Hat? Also, needs explanation of Guest Week/links to other comics in Guest Week.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This may be a reference to Scott Adams' God's Debris, in which a delivery guy has a long conversation about the nature of the universe with an old man. While often dealing with complex questions, the old man in the story presents arguments in a very straightforward way. Some have called some of the arguments in the book very clever and original, albeit overly simplistic. This comic could be a parody on that style of philosophy.
The title text is completely true: After a brown recluse spider bit him, Rowland started experiencing cell death in his leg. Although the wound itself is benign, it still is featured in Wikipedia articles (such as Loxoscelism).
Traditionally, turkey is the main dish of the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. Thus, the theory mentioned in the last panel is that turkeys started the holiday in order to drive themselves to extinction. This is a reference to the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.
- [Jeffrey Rowland and Randall are sitting together, with a globe between them. Mr. Rowland has a drink with a small umbrella over it.]
- Jeffrey Rowland: But enough of my theories about Thanksgiving. The real reason we're here is to discuss my hypothesis that dark matter itself is what consciousness is made of...
- [The frame focuses on Jeffrey Rowland.]
- Jeffrey Rowland: Unobservable to anything that is itself conscious in much the same way the mail-man won't deliver your mail if you are watching the mail-box
- [Mr. Rowland raises his drink.]
- Jeffrey Rowland: Which brings us to my theory about ghosts-
- Randall Munroe: Wait did you just say Thanksgiving was invented by the Turkey Voluntary Extinction Movement?