1013: Wake Up Sheeple
|Wake Up Sheeple|
Title text: You will be led to judgement like lambs to the slaughter--a simile whose existence, I might add, will not do your species any favors.
In this comic, Cueball is going through the traditional loudspeaker-having person refrain about the government having control over our lives and uses the refrain "Wake Up Sheeple", which has been referenced at least two other times in xkcd. Sheeple is a portmanteau (another thing that is loved in xkcd) of "sheep" and "people" used as a derisive term to describe people who thoughtlessly wander through their daily lives going exactly where they are "herded" by the powers that be.
However, in this comic, "sheeple" are not that, instead are a race of half sheep/half person who have slumbered beneath the Earth for ten thousand years and are apparently going to destroy the human race. Repeating a specific phrase 3 times is the same as used in 555: Two Mirrors.
The title text says the humans will be led "like lambs to the slaughter" which is a phrase that appears many times in older texts, the Bible as an example. The phrase means that someone or something would be led to its destruction without it thinking to escape from the disaster. Much in the same way we humans do not seriously consider lower species to be humans, to the Sheeple, our drawing that parallel will not help us in their quest for vengeance.
- [A man yells into a megaphone.]
- Man: Your government has turned against you! Corporations control your every thought! - Open your eyes!
- [Head-on view of man with megaphone.]
- Man: Wake up, sheeple! Wake up, sheeple! - WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!!
- ((in between two panels))
- [The man takes the megaphone away from his mouth.]
- [A half-sheep half-man creature rises through the cracking earth, holding aloft a gnarled staff.]
- < < B - A - A - A - A - A... > >
- [Close-up on the sheep-man's eye.]
- TEN THOUSAND YEARS WE SLUMBERED... NOW WE RIIIIIIIISE baaaaaaa
- [A clearly upset woman goes up to the man with the megaphone, hands held out in front of her plaintively.]
- Woman: OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD
- WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!
- Man: What? But I didn't—
- Out-of-frame #1: He awoke the Sheeple!
- OOF #2: Heaven forgive us!
- OOF #3: All is lost!
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!