1018: Good Cop, Dadaist Cop
|Good Cop, Dadaist Cop|
Title text: NOW INVENT AN IMPOSSIBLE-TO-TRANSLATE LANGUAGE AND USE IT TO TELL US WHERE THE MONEY IS.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Language and still a bad explanation.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
The title of this comic, Good Cop, Dadaist Cop, is is a play on the police interrogation strategy Good cop/bad cop and the artistic movement Dadaism. Dadaism is a movement that embraces the free flow of unreasoned thought and "Good cop/bad cop" is a tool that law enforcement officials use to get information from a person during an interrogation. The interrogators isolate the suspect, one of the interrogators acts unreasonable and untrustworthy (bad cop) and the other reasonable and trustworthy in comparison (good cop). If successful, it deceives the suspect into believing they must choose to trust one of the interrogators, and therefore the good cop.
The comic starts with the "good cop", Cueball, and the "dadaist cop", Ponytail, working out their plan to interrogate the suspect, Hairy. After Cueball makes a few statements, intended to build trust with Hairy, and leaves to get coffee, Ponytail enters the interrogation and starts asking Hairy absurd questions. Hairy very quickly agitated, questioning what is wrong with Ponytail. Where "good cop, bad cop" builds a relationship between the good cop and the suspect on the suspects fear and distrust of the intentions of the bad cop, "good cop dadaist cop" is successfully doing this on the fear and distrust of the irrationality of the dadaist cop.
The title text builds on the joke as by asking a suspect to give the whereabouts of the money in a form that could be considered dadaist art. Since dadaist art is without reason, there would be no way of decoding where the money is from the confession.
- See this? It's Mark Zuckerberg's Mortgage. So why is it written in CHURCH LATIN?
- “WHY ARE MY BONES SO SMALL?”, “What's wrong with ART?”
- These are non sequiturs and therefore have no place in an investigation.
- The title text: NOW INVENT AN IMPOSSIBLE-TO-TRANSLATE LANGUAGE AND USE IT TO TELL US WHERE THE MONEY IS.
- The location of the money cannot be conveyed to Ponytail if the information were expressed in a newly-invented language that cannot be translated, and there would be useless to an investigation.
- [Two cops look through a window into an interrogation chamber holding a handcuffed suspect.]
- Good Cop: All right, let's try good cop, dadaist cop
- [Good Cop is seated in front of the suspect.]
- Good Cop: Look, you're a good guy. We can work this out. Hey, lemme get us some coffee.
- [CHANGE PLACES.]
- [Dadaist Cop holds up a document of indeterminate contents and threatens the suspect with it.]
- Dadaist Cop: See this? It's Mark Zuckerberg's Mortgage. So why is it written in CHURCH LATIN?
- [Dadaist cop physically rattles the suspect.]
- Dadaist Cop: WHY ARE MY BONES SO SMALL?
- Suspect: What's WRONG with you!?
- Dadaist Cop: What's wrong with ART?