Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This is kind of a double headed comic. Let me explain.
“Back to the Future” is a 1980's defining movie starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, storybased in the year 1985. In the movie, Fox plays a teenage kid that, because being friends with a mad professor (Lloyd), gets to operate a time machine shaped like a DeLorean DMC-12. He then “drives” to 1955, gets to meet his (then teenage) dad, but gets in trouble because his (future) mom falls in love with him, rather than his (future) dad that is kind of a geek. Luckily, the movie was conceived in Hollywood, so everything ends well with mom and dad falling in love, Fox returning to the future by miracle to realize he is still alive because of this love (muhahaha for sex and pregnancy).
Onward to the comic. Cueball has had a similar experience like Fox. He also met a scientist, drove to meet his dad, and setting things straight while helping his dad to be less of a loser. Megan then reminds him of her dad, being a victim of the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York, and why he disposed of the DeLorean before she could use it to save her dad from either plummeting or burning to his death.
But here is the double headiness: suppose it is 1985 in this comic, according to the statements used by Cueball. How would Megan know her dad was killed in 2001?
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
I noticed the character on the right has hair in the first two frames, but is bald in the last frame... Two persons? Rikthoff (talk)
- I agree with Rikthoff, I don't think this is Cueball. Being bald is one of his main features and this guy definately has hair.--Popuppete (talk) 13:42, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
The issue date might be off. All files since #101 have been created on April 11th, 2006. Anyone with an actual issue date? Rikthoff (talk)
Could it be possible that Megan's dad died because of something the other character (let's not call him Cueball until we know for sure) did in the future to "make sure his parents got together and helped his dad to be less of a loser"? tesshavon
- It's more likely to have been the result of a airliner full of jet fuel crashing into the tower, causing it to burn and collapse. Megan is probably thinking that Cueball (I'm still going to call him Cueball, sorry) could maybe have alerted somebody that this was going to happen. In the past. Him having access to a time machine and all. 184.108.40.206 20:31, 24 January 2014 (UTC)
Why do we take for granted alt text refers to the Cueball/Hairy and not the father? 220.127.116.11 21:55, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
What if the alt text refers to Marty McFly and not Cueball/Hairy? You don't have to think about the comic very hard to know C/H was an asshole, but I think the implication is that Marty could have taken the DeLorean and done less petty, personal things with it. --18.104.22.168 21:51, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- If it did refer to MM, Randall's interpretation of the movie is skewed. MM only did what he needed to do to repair the damage he unintentionally did. There was no personal benefit intended other than saving his own life, and that of his siblings. Randall has taken some creative license with the way C/H explains the plot.22.214.171.124 07:52, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
Have people forgotten? The DeLorean time machine was destroyed at the end of the third film - it spent less than a day in total in 1985 (first used 1.20 am, destroyed by a train c. midafternoon). Cueball even references this in the comic. 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Megan can still contact the friend and get her own time machine... maybe. Greyson (talk) 05:11, 22 October 2015 (UTC)
- The DeLorean that Marty used to travel from 1885 to 1985 was, indeed, destroyed (somewhat ironically by a fast-moving, modern train). But what of the DeLorean Doc stashed in the cave in 1885? That's what he used to create the flying train. PoconoChuck (talk) 20:19, 9 May 2016 (UTC)
- Actually, that cave DeLorean had to stay there after Doc buried it in 1885, or else 1955 Doc and Marty couldn't dig it out to go back to 1885 to get Doc. It is surmised that parts from the hoverboard (that remained in 1885 with Doc and Clara) were used in the making of the Time Train. 188.8.131.52 07:52, 25 January 2018 (UTC)