Title text: I was sure he was just getting revenge, but then he did the same thing to Carrie Underwood. Then he mailed me a scone. I think I'm giving up dating.
This comic is a take on one of the typical revenge tactics in dating and in life, which is one person "keying" the car of another. To "key" a car is to drag a key across the side of the car, sometimes multiple times, ruining the paint job. Instead, our friend Beret Guy painted a really detailed key on the side of the car in his version of "keying" a car.
The image text is a reference to the song "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood, which is a revenge song which details Carrie Underwood imagining her boyfriend hanging out and flirting with a "bleach-blonde" girl, shooting pool, buying her a drink, dancing, and hoping to "get lucky" with her. In retaliation, she commits several law-breaking actions including vandalizing his customized four-wheel drive vehicle by scratching its side with a key, carving her name into its leather seats, smashing the headlights with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat and slashing all four tires. She hopes that this will make him "think before he cheats" again.
- [Ponytail and Cueball are walking along]
- Ponytail: I broke up with him yesterday
- Cueball: That weird guy with the beret? Did he take it okay?
- Ponytail: He seemed upset. He went out to my car-
- Cueball: uh oh
- Ponytail: -and spent the whole night painting a really detailed key on the side
- Cueball: ..wait what?
- [Image of Beret Guy painting a giant key on the side of a car]
- Ponytail: Then he woke me up to ask what I thought of it. He looked really proud.
- Cueball: I ... is he playing revenge mind games?
- Ponytail: I genuinely can't tell if he remembers that we broke up.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!