This comic is three parted (or four if you count the Latin name portion).
First, the names are sorted up by genuses (a genus (plural: genera) is a low-level taxonomic rank used in the biological classification of living and fossil organisms) from bottom to top of which animals would win in a fight.
Secondly, the names within the genus are then sorted by coolness of name from left to right.
Thirdly, in red you can see the direction that Apple has taken with naming their OS X Operating Systems. They started at Cheetah and have moved through genuses from there in no order that this chart can make out.
Fourthly, Bobcats are an in joke of the comic in that they appear in the strangest places.
And lastly, despite it being disturbingly close to "Hogwarts," which is the magical school from the Harry Potter series of books and movies, Dracorex hogwartsia is real.
- Well-known felines:
- [A graph organizing various feline species labeled with common names ordered by Genera(in order of which would win in a fight) on the y axis, and coolness of name on the x axis]
- Smilodon (extinct): "Saber-toothed cat (scientific name: Smilodon fatalis)
- Panthera: "Jaguar", "Leopard", "Snow Leopard", "Tiger", "Lion"
- Puma: "Cougar", "Puma", "Panther", "Mountain Lion"
- Other felidae: "Ocelot", "Cheetah"
- Felis & Lynx: "Housecat", "Bobcat", "Wildcat", "Lynx"
- [Some elements are further connected using an unbranched acyclic digraph. The elements are connected thus: "Cheetah" -> "Puma" -> "Jaguar" -> "Panther" -> "Tiger" -> "Leopard" -> "Snow Leopard" -> "Lion" -> "Mountain Lion"]
- The OS X Problem