Title text: Hey, before you go, can you explain to me what job I now have?
This comic is based on a common annoyance when job hunting, being told that they'll "keep you in mind", but don't offer you a job. A job interviewer tells Black Hat that the job he was applying for was already filled.
Black Hat offers a briefcase to his interviewer. From the vague phrasing "this" and the context, one would expect the briefcase to contain money to bribe the interviewer into hiring Black Hat. Instead, it contains a portal or gateway into an impossibly deep chasm.
After falling through the chasm, the interviewer lands in the interviewee's seat, and Black Hat is now sitting in the interviewer's seat, effectively switching their roles.
When Black Hat opens the briefcase, however, he reveals another common annoyance when job hunting, being told that the opening has already been filled. Black Hat's statement works on two levels, one meaning that "the job opening has been filled", and the second meaning "the opening to the briefcase's chasm has been filled".
The title text is said by Black Hat. It refers to the fact that, even though Black Hat now has the interviewer's job, he has no idea what his function is.
- [Black Hat and another person interviewing.]
- Person: ...But thank you for applying. We'll keep your resume on file.
- [Black Hat pushes a suitcase over the table.]
- Black Hat: Perhaps this could change your mind?
- [Person opens suitcase.]
- [Suitcase opens up to reveal a hole with horizontal lines along the walls.]
- [Camera pans over the suitcase to reveal a deep hole.]
- [Camera zooms into the hole.]
- [Person is falling into the hole.]
- Person: AAAAAA
- [Person falls into a chair with the suitcase.]
- [Person is dazed.]
- Black Hat: ...But thank you for applying. We'll keep your resume on file.
- [Person looks bemused at the the suitcase.]
- [Person lifts suitcase.]
- [Person pushes the suitcase over the table.]
- Person: Perhaps this could change your mind?
- [Black Hat opens suitcase.]
- [Black Hat looks inside.]
- [Black Hat turns suitcase around.]
- Black Hat: I'm sorry-
- [Suitcase now has some paper and an envelope in it.]
- Black Hat: -That opening has been filled.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!