1177: Time Robot
Title text: NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT
The comic starts with a scene from a 1984 science fiction action film The Terminator, in which a killing robot (played by Arnold Schwarzenneger) is sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor, the main female protagonist of the movie, and a human, Kyle Reese, also travels back in time to protect her (and he acquires a sawed-off shotgun which Cueball holds in the strip).
However, in the following panels, Cueball changes the narrative so that instead of a real killing robot, he explains that we all are hunted by an unstoppable enemy trying to kill us – the time. And he goes on to point to the similarities between the time and a Terminator.
In the final panel, “come with me if you want to live” is a famous phrase from the movie, but in this case, amended with the facts about the inevitability of eventual death.
Also, the title text is a play on a quote from The Terminator, where Sarrah Connor starts to believe that “There's no fate but what we make for ourselves.”. It is also a reference to the character 'Death' in Terry Pratchett's Diskworld novels. In the diskworld novels, his dialogue is always depicted in small caps and he is often caught making sometimes bizarre philosophical statements about life and death.
- [Cueball runs towards Megan with shotgun in hand.]
- Cueball: I'm from the future!
- Cueball: You're being stalked by an unstoppable robotic assassin!
- [Close up of Cueball's head.]
- Cueball: Of course, in a sense, we're all being stalked by an unstoppable robot.
- Cueball: A robot called time.
- [Cueball looking at a clock.]
- Cueball: I see it in the mirror. I see wrinkles, grey hairs.
- Cueball: I hear its metallic footsteps in the relentless rhythm of the ticking clock.
- [Cueball reaches out to Megan.]
- Cueball: Anyway, uhh - come with me if you want to live for a while.
- Cueball: You'll still die eventually.
- Cueball: We all will.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!