11: Barrel - Part 2
|Barrel - Part 2|
Title text: Awww.
Like in the previous comic in the Barrel series, the boy is floating in the ocean in a barrel. The previous comic made a point about the uncertainty of life; here, the boy's lament at not finding a mother is pure sentimentality, as accentuated by the title text.
According the Freud, the first stage of psychosexual development is the Oral Stage which relates to a baby's relationship with its mother. The realisation that mommy cannot be found is the first point at which a person learns to stop trusting the world and realises that the world is not always comforting and safe.
This is the second in a five-part series of comics whose parts were randomly published during the first several dozen strips. The series features a character that is not consistent with what would quickly become the xkcd stick figure style. The character is in a barrel.
The full series can be found here:
- 1: Barrel - Part 1
- 11: Barrel - Part 2 (this one)
- 22: Barrel - Part 3
- 25: Barrel - Part 4
- 31: Barrel - Part 5
- [A boy sits in a barrel which is floating in an ocean.]
- Boy: None of the places i floated had mommies.
- This is the thirteenth comic originally posted on livejournal. The previous was 14: Copyright. The next was 15: Just Alerting You. View archive here.
- Original Randall quote: "The story continues."
- The drawing style is very reminiscent of the Little Prince.