1241: Annoying Ringtone Champion
|Annoying Ringtone Champion|
Title text: It beat out 'Clock radio alarm', 'B-flat at 194 decibels', 'That noise from Dumb & Dumber', and 'Recording of a sobbing voice begging you to answer'.
This comic satirizes the annoying ringtones some people have on their cell phones. Some will even go so far as to use ringtones that resemble everyday sounds. Some examples include, but are not limited to, doorbells, coughing, alarm noises, or, in this case, the buzzing of a mosquito. Although seemingly harmless, these ringtones can get annoying to some people, which is what this comic is getting at.
The title text refers to four other annoying ringtones:
- "Clock radio alarm". These sounds are often loud and annoying, just to ensure that you really will wake up.
- "B-flat at 194 decibels". B-flat is the note most commonly used for tuning wind instruments. 194 decibels is the limit at 1 atmosphere pressure. More energy would create a shockwave. This could also be a reference to a crowd of vuvuzelas as they also produce sounds pitched around B flat. This may also refer to several B-flat-related phenomena discussed in an NPR story, Have You Heard About B Flat? Specifically, B-flat has been found to agitate alligators, and waves passing through gas near a black hole have been found to resonate at a frequency which results in a B flat 57 octaves below middle C. 194 dB is quite literally deafening, so the ringtone would not so much be annoying but dangerous.
- "That noise from Dumb & Dumber". Dumb and Dumber is a comedy movie from 1994. The noise from Dumb & Dumber is referring to the point in the movie when Harry and Lloyd asked, "Do you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?" and began shrieking in imitation of a loud fax machine.
- "Recording of a sobbing voice begging you to answer". Self-explanatory. Such a ringtone is obviously disruptive and potentially worrying to those in the vicinity of the phone.
- [The sound of an insect going "hmmmmmmmmMMMMMmmmmmmm".]
- Cueball, suspecting an impending insect attack: AUGH!
- Black Hat: Oh, I've gotta take this.
- By unanimous decision, the winner of the Awful Ringtone Championship is "the sound a mosquito makes as it buzzes past your ear".