142: Parody Week: Megatokyo
|Parody Week: Megatokyo|
Title text: I just want to give him a hug or something.
The opening panel sets up a parody of Megatokyo. The girl is Ping, a robot character from the comic. The soft greyscale art, hand-drawn "shadowed" panel borders, and vertical panel layout also mimic Megatokyo's design.
The parody is then apparently aborted by Cueball and Black Hat, who are afraid of hurting artist Fred Gallagher's feelings. This itself is a dig at the sometimes sentimental and emotionally tender tone of Megatokyo, and in particular the self-conscious resemblance of anxious protagonist Piro to creator Gallagher, who based the character on a twentysomething version of himself.
This is one of the few comics where Black Hat is not his usual classhole self. So even he likes and approves of Fred and his comic!
This comic is a part of the Parody Week, just joking about other webcomics.
- 141: Parody Week: Achewood
- 142: Parody Week: Megatokyo
- 143: Parody Week: TFD and Natalie Dee
- 144: Parody Week: A Softer World
- 145: Parody Week: Dinosaur Comics
- ["megaxkcd" is inside Japanese quote characters.]
- [An anime girl with pigtails, long rectangular earrings and a blank expression stands with her arms at her sides.]
- In today's megaxkcd, our protagonist comes to terms with his romantic love for a girl who is a video game console accessory.
- [Cueball and Black Hat talks]
- Cueball: Wait, I'm not sure we should parody megatokyo.
- Black Hat: Fred Gallagher does seem like he might take it kind of hard.
- Cueball: He really does.
- Black Hat: Poor guy. We should try to cheer him up.
- [Cueball and Black Hat stand in front of a profile shot of a house. On the left is a mailbox. Black Hat stands at street level, while Cueball is holding a cake on the top of a two-step staircase to the front door.]
- Black Hat: Fred? Fred, please come out. It's OK. Don't cry, Fred.
- Cueball: We... we baked you a cake.