17: What If
Title text: I once made an anniversary card for my then-girlfriend with this layout.
- Not to be confused with Randall's new what if? blog.
This comic features a man and a woman in a romantic setting, surrounded by a fractal combination of love and doubts. From the early date of this comic, plus the hair on the man, it's doubtful that this couple is Cueball and Megan.
The layout is a Sierpinski Triangle-like fractal arrangement based on the Apollonian gasket construction. Three circles are drawn tangent to each other, then additional circles are added which are tangent to three existing circles (without overlap), ad infinitum. The question marks and hearts represent the doubt and love the characters feel in their relationship.
In the title text, Randall says he sent a card like this to his then-girlfriend. We can infer that it ultimately wasn't everything it should be.
- [A large black circle with white bubbles inside it, filled with hearts, question marks, and stick figure couples]
- What if this isn't everything it should be?
- I'm not even sure how I feel
- What if I'm making a mistake?
- Original Randall quote: "One of my best friends just got engaged. I really, truly think they're going to be very happy together."
- The friends referenced are Scott and Sarah
- This is the sixteenth comic posted to livejournal. The previous was 16: Monty Python -- Enough. The next was 18: Snapple.