On the day this comic came out, both MC Hammer and Ralph Macchio (the actor who starred in the first two Karate Kid movies) were 56 years old.
- Comic names overlapping comic numbers
Beginning on Monday, 21. May 2018 we will have comic numbers which are the same as other comic names.
- That will be 1996, 1999, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2038. Not more right now.
Since xkcd uses only the number for navigation we have to adopt this or the navigation here will be broken.
In general we have three pages for a single comic. Here it is "1995: MC Hammer Age" AND two redirects "1995" as well as "MC Hammer Age". The redirect "1995" (the number) is used for navigation.
This means all those future comics and their named companions will have a disambiguation line on top AND the numbered page MUST redirect to the comic belonging to that number.
Do not hesitate to ask further questions, or just wait until the next comic is out. I don't expect that Randall will omit this number.--Dgbrt (talk) 14:02, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
- Navigation bar
Hitting next on this page brings you to comic #768 titled 1996. This comic is #1995. I thought that there was an extra comic today at first. MrNinja (talk) 14:58, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah, I decided to let it stay there as it is but on Monday that redirect will AND must be overwritten in the meaning of a comic number. That will happen a few times more in the future. --Dgbrt (talk) 15:03, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- It's either changed now or different on my iPad 1. For me it leads to a page with "1996" alone, like it's the comic number, but that's it. No name, no navigation buttons, nothing. NiceGuy1 (talk) 05:16, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
- Yes, it wasn't me but the page is now empty. See my further remarks above. --Dgbrt (talk) 14:02, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
I suspect we’ll start needing Wikipedia-style disambiguation pages soon, given comic numbers that overlap other comic’s names. PotatoGod (talk) 16:13, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- As I recall, if you search a comic number or title, it lists matching comics. A lower number, like, say, to pick a random example, "199" would list comic #199 as well as comics #1990 to #1995 right now. I know the same goes for titles. I assume such disambiguation will lead to both comics being listed, and the user can click/tap the one they mean. Actually, checking now, actually running the search leads to a search results page which is essentially a disambiguation page (which is indeed listing the currently-blank 1996 page as well as the old comic named "1996"). NiceGuy1 (talk) 05:16, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
- Further discussions
"Hammer Age" > "hemorrhage", coincidence? 126.96.36.199 15:19, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
I came here from xkcd to find out who in the world MC Hammer was. (I guess I'm too old to really care, but I was curious.) At least there was a wiki link, but the explanation here could say something. 188.8.131.52 16:27, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- Because MC Hammer was so well known, everybody old enough to have been around back then - and therefore old enough to Feel Old from this - knows who he is. :) The explanation talks about him now. He was a One Hit Wonder with his song "U Can't Touch This" (to the music of Superfreak), including an iconic shuffling dance he did in the video with iconic puffy pants. SORT OF a One Hit Wonder, as he had a couple of others back then (I recall 2 Legit 2 Quit, not sure if it was numbers in the title), but oldies stations and segments only really play U Can't Touch This these days. NiceGuy1 (talk) 05:16, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
- Really? MC Hammer is on "oldies stations" nowadays?! If I didn't feel old from this before -- now I do! Passerby (talk) 21:06, 24 May 2018 (UTC)
But MC Hammer is actually almost 60? He's 56. -- Captaindomon (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- r/whooosh 184.108.40.206 21:22, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- Guess Captaindomon didn't read the rest of the comic, LOL! NiceGuy1 (talk) 05:16, 20 May 2018 (UTC)
I wonder what comic 2000 will be. Maybe it will be like 1000?220.127.116.11 11:40, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
- My question is about 2018, which comes out in 2018! SilverMagpie (talk) 16:44, 23 May 2018 (UTC)
Wow this works on my Kindle! Noy even fire to boot! Well done Jeff!
Check Please! StillNotOriginal (Talk to me!) 00:01, 20 May 2018 (UTC)