19: George Clinton
Title text: I still wish it were true.
George Clinton is an American musician most famous for his funk music and wild hair style.
As Randall says, he had attempted to spread around an urban legend that George Clinton had a Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics. However, the more Randall thought about this rumor, the more he found himself believing it was true. This behavior is related to Pseudologia fantastica, which is more commonly known as pathological or compulsive lying. This comic references the associated behavior that an "individual may be aware they are lying, or may believe they are telling the truth, being unaware that they are relating fantasies." These individuals may eventually stop the lie as demonstrated by the title text, which indicates that at some later time the individual realized that the rumor was not true, but wishes it to be so.
The equations on the board are Laplace transforms of functions.
- I once tried to start the urban legend that George Clinton has a B.A. in mathematics
- [George Clinton indicates equations on a blackboard.]
- ...but I wanted it to be true so badly that I started believing it myself.
- This is the eighteenth comic posted to livejournal. The previous was 18: Snapple. The next was 20: Ferret.
- The first Laplace transform has a mismatched left parenthesis, which was the topic of 859: (.