Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This comic is pointing out the fact that many of the comments on Youtube videos are insipid and poorly informed, being pointless arguments over some minor topic, or factually incorrect position.
In this case, the moon landing hoaxers are at the receiving end of Randall's pen.
The comment from gunpistolman mistakenly refers to the absence of gravity (which is present, but approximately 1/6th G.) Actually, there is no atmosphere on the moon.
The comment by bigmike133 confuses the Space Shuttle (which was never capable of landing and subsequent take-off in any off-world situation, let alone leaving near-earth orbit) with the Apollo Lunar Module.
Louis Armstrong was a famous jazz musician, who may have waxed lyrical about the moon, but never went there. The ill-informed crackmonkey74 meant the astronaut Niel Armstrong, who did.
Finally, simpleplan2009 presents the ludicrous position that the moon shot was faked by suggesting that the footage was filmed by actors on Mars, a planet many thousands of times father away than the moon. Landing humans on Mars is a feat that has (as of this writing in 2013) still not been accomplished, and if it had been possible during the Apollo era, would have made a landing on the moon trivial in comparison. (In other words, why go through all the trouble of faking it, if doing it for real would have been no trouble at all?)
- [A YouTube comments page for a moon landing video.]
- Comments & Responses
- rocckir (48 minutes ago)
- this is so obviously faked its unbilevable, why r people so gullible??? morons
- bigmike133 (35 minutes ago)
- ive seen the space shuttle ass hole it definetly landed on the moon do some research...
- gunpistolman (22 minutes ago)
- if it was real why is their gravity? americans r fucken sheep
- crackmonkey74 (17 minutes ago)
- u dont think we went to the moon why not tell louis armstrong to his face
- simpleplan2009 (3 minutes ago)
- it was a soundstage on mars
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
In the transcript, it says simpleplan2009's comment was posted 3 minutes ago. However, in the image, it clearly says 5 minutes. Caagr98 (talk) 19:01, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
- I agree. In theory a 3 and a 5 could be hand-written to be hard to differentiate, but here it is clear. Changed. (And added the first line.) Mark Hurd (talk) 10:56, 19 April 2013 (UTC)
- Changed it back, as the actual transcript on the comic page (as seen in the webpage source, and upon which the comic searches are based) says "3". I've added the reasoning in the explanation. NixillUmbreon (talk) 15:31, 20 January 2014 (UTC)
- The image is the first source for the transcript here. Randall's transcript simply doesn't match the image.--Dgbrt (talk) 22:11, 20 January 2014 (UTC)
On Gunpistolman's comment, is the heavy boots story worth a mention? B jonas (talk) 16:31, 1 November 2013 (UTC)
- Not needing a mention in the explanation, but thank you for the link. Richard Feynman would be glowing in his grave at the state of science education in this country. 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
The British sketch comedy TV show That Mitchell and Webb Look has an excellent Moon Landing Sketch with similar humor to this joke. Beolach (talk) 22:18, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
I think that it's possible the video is the Astronaut music video by Simple Plan. Led to believe it by the username simpleplan2009 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
American sheep are very offended by this. if sheep could read. --Dalonacueball (talk) 17:27, 24 March 2015 (UTC)
All of the comments in the comic are actual YouTube comments, taken from the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vml7pZJujF0
(although the usernames were changed, presumably to protect the stupid). Should that be mentioned in the description? HiddenWindshield
) 20:44, 19 July 2015 (UTC)