227: Color Codes
Title text: It's the TMBG Dial-a-Song line, to save you some time.
Resistors are electronic components carrying color-coded bands indicating their value measured in Ohm and the tolerance (e.g. 5%). Cueball's friend on the right has been hunched over his work for so long that, when asked for his phone number, he absentmindedly reads out his phone's area code as a sequence of colors found on the aforementioned resistors (each color corresponding to one of the ten decimal digits). He points out that such a mistake means it's a good time to take a break.
TMBG are They Might Be Giants, a popular beat combo responsible for toe-tapping chart-topping "Birdhouse In Your Soul". At one point, they recorded individual songs on an answering machine, and advertised the phone number so people could call and listen to the song on the machine. Hence, Dial-A-Song.
- [Cueball talks to a friend at a desk littered with objects.]
- Cueball: Hey, what's your cell number?
- Friend: (Violet Brown Gray) - Uh, I mean, (718)-387-6962.
- Cueball: Okay, you are putting down those resistors and going outside for a while.
- Friend: That's probably a good idea.