249: Chess Photo
Title text: We once tried playing blindfold chess on the Aerosmith ride at Disney World.
Whimsy. Why do people do most of the odd things they do? When it isn't because of a cruelly in-bred stupidity, it is because of whimsy. There isn't very much that needs explaining in this one, perhaps only chess, a strategy board game much talked about in xkcd, and rollercoasters which is an amusement park ride filled with twists, turns, rises, falls, loops, and sometimes themed areas of the park to try to tell a story while on the ride.
This comic inspired people to try this in real life, to awesome effect.
- [Friend 2 sits at a desk with glue, chess pieces, and a chessboard while Friend 1 looks over his shoulder.]
- Friend 1: What are you doing?
- Friend 2: Gluing down chess pieces.
- Friend 1: Why?
- Friend 2: Because there's a picture I've always wanted... I'll need your coat to sneak this onto the ride.
- [A photograph of a roller coaster ride with Friend 2 sitting in the first car, chin in hand, thinking over the chessboard. The photograph has "Mega Coaster 3000 souvenir photo" written on the margin.]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!