249: Chess Photo
Title text: We once tried playing blindfold chess on the Aerosmith ride at Disney World.
A roller coaster is a kind of thrill ride where a small train carries people through a number of twists, turns, and hills at a high speed to the occupants great delight. Such rides are popular at amusement parks where people have to wait in long lines to get on a ride that lasts a less than two minutes.
Many amusement parks have a spot where they take souvenir pictures as you are experiencing the ride. After you get off the ride, you can buy one, or a set to commemorate riding the roller coaster. These pictures usually have people with their hands up, yelling and screaming. Wind may be going through their hair as they pass through the air at high speeds.
Cueball is subverting the usual 'souvenir picture pose' by gluing chess pieces to a board and then staring at the board when the picture is taken. He stands out in the picture as a calm person studiously studying a chess problem while everyone else yelps and whoops with excitement.
The title text refers to the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster either at Disney World Florida or Disney World Paris. The ride is themed around the band Aerosmith, and their music plays during the ride. The ride is indoors and has loops in which the rider goes upside-down. The only lighting comes from colored lights intended to add excitement; as such, the blindfold may be rather redundant.
- [Cueball sits at a desk with glue, chess pieces, and a chessboard while a friend looks over his shoulder.]
- Friend: What are you doing?
- Cueball: Gluing down chess pieces.
- Friend: Why?
- Cueball: Because there's a picture I've always wanted... I'll need your coat to sneak this onto the ride.
- [A photograph of a roller coaster ride with Cueball sitting in the first car, chin in hand, thinking over the chessboard. The photograph has "Mega Coaster 3000 souvenir photo" written on the margin.]
- This comic inspired people to try this in real life, to awesome effect.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!