267: Choices: Part 4
|Choices: Part 4|
Title text: Making out with yourself: now an official xkcd theme? Troubling.
This is the existentialistic climax of the Choices series. It takes up the recurring xkcd-theme how people tend to be blind towards the staggering amount of possibilities that each day holds, with routine and boredom as a result. (See e.g. 137: Dreams and 706: Freedom.)
The title text refers to 105: Parallel Universe.
All parts of "Choices":
- 264: Choices: Part 1
- 265: Choices: Part 2
- 266: Choices: Part 3
- 267: Choices: Part 4
- 268: Choices: Part 5
- [Megan in bubble, floating in outer space next to her clone.]
- Clone: I shouldn't do this, but I pulled you out for a moment to give you a hint.
- Megan: A hint?
- Clone: Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out.
- Megan: Why tell me this?
- Clone: You're curious and smart and bored, and all you see is the choice between working hard and slacking off. There are so many adventures that you miss because you're waiting to think of a plan. To find them, look for tiny interesting choices. And remember that you are always making up the future as you go.
- Megan: So, wait, what is this place? Am I going to wake up thinking this was a dream?
- Clone: This is... Think of this as after the game, outside the theatre. To go in, I had to suspend disbelief, forget the outside.
- Megan: So you... Huh. Why give me hints I'm going to forget?
- Clone: You'll forget this trip but I think the hints should stay with you.
- Megan: ...If this is a game, are you— are we— cheating?
- Clone: Yup.
- Megan: Is that a good idea?
- Clone: Well it's an interesting one. We'll see how it goes.
- Megan: Well, I guess I'll see you aroun—
- Megan: Wait a minute; have you brought me here before?
- Clone: I... maybe. once.
- Megan: For another hint?
- Clone: Er. Actually we just made out.
- Megan: We wh--
- Clone: Bye!