305: Rule 34
Title text: Okay, Lance. For entry into the college bowl, spell 'Throbbing'
Cueball is rather surprised to find slash fiction (same-sex erotic fiction) featuring characters from the Thomas the Tank Engine television series, but Megan isn't remotely surprised, citing Rule 34: "If it exists, there is porn of it. No exceptions."
Cueball denies the truism of the rule, coming up with several examples of porn that doesn't exist yet, until he comes across one that they both agree would be pretty hot: Women playing electric guitar in the shower. Megan proceeds to get ahead of the curve by registering WetRiffs.com (NSFW). By doing this, Megan invoked Rule 35, an amendment on rule 34. Rule 35 states: 'If there is not porn of it, porn will be made of it'.
- Cueball: Huh-- Thomas the Tank Engine slash fiction.
- Megan: It's rule 34 of the internet. If you can imagine it, there is porn of it.
- Cueball: Nah. The web is freaky, but it can't begin to have everything.
- Cueball: There's no porn set atop storm-chasing vans. No homoerotic spelling bees. No women playing electric guitar in the shower.
- Megan: Actually, that last one would look pretty hot. As long as they were unplugged or waterproofed...
- Megan: Rivulets of water run down her chest, the smooth body of the guitar firm against her hips.
- Megan: She twangs the E-string and it shakes off tiny droplets in all directions.
- [She rises into a crouch.]
- Megan: You're sure it doesn't exist?
- Cueball: Not yet.
- Megan: I'm registering WetRiffs.com. Let's get on this.
- Randall actually did register Wetriffs.com (archive here), and people submitted pictures of themselves in the shower holding electric guitars. Randall would later create a tumblr page called "Raccoon Sex Dungeon" to coincide with Cueball referencing it in 1025: Tumblr.
- When referencing a fictional website on a webcomic, TV series or other form of media, it's generally a good idea to create the website yourself so that you can control the content and protect yourself from getting sued because someone got there first and flooded it with inappropriate, even harmful material.
- There is a comic about homoerotic spelling bees.