319: Engineering Hubris
Revision as of 11:40, 15 June 2013
Title text: Chuck Jones is a vengeful god.
This comic starts with philosophical musing about engineering. The last panel reveals a joke about Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner, a cartoon series created by Chuck Jones. In the cartoon, the Coyote is constantly building odd contraptions (with parts ordered from Acme Corporation) to catch the Road Runner. The Coyote never succeeds, often because his devices don't work as intended.
Murphy's law states "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".
- [Landscape in the background, canyon with a winding road ]
- Maybe engineering is the pursuit of an unattainable perfection.
- Maybe it's impossible to create something bug-free.
- Maybe I'm a fool
- Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris.
- But I just can't shake the feeling
- [Cueball standing on boxes labeled "ACME"]
- With all those supplies
- _I_ could have caught that roadrunner.