31: Barrel - Part 5
|Barrel - Part 5|
Title text: Too good not to happen.
This gives a happy ending to the Barrel series. The flying ferret is from 20: Ferret. The humor is derived from the juxtaposition of two unlike elements - in this case, the contemplative and even dark nature of the Barrel series being resolved through the timely intervention of a comical flying mammal.
This is the fifth in a five-part series of comics whose parts were randomly published during the first several dozen strips. The series features a character that is not consistent with what would quickly become the xkcd stick figure style. The character is in a barrel.
The full series can be found here:
- 1: Barrel - Part 1
- 11: Barrel - Part 2
- 22: Barrel - Part 3
- 25: Barrel - Part 4
- 31: Barrel - Part 5 (this one)
- [Boy floating on piece of driftwood in ocean.]
- [Zoomed out view of boy floating on piece of driftwood in ocean.]
- [Ferret with airplane wings and tail above the ocean.]
- [The empty ocean.]
- [Flying ferret carrying the boy to safety.]
- [Ocean with ferret carrying boy in distance, sun on the horizon.]
- Original Randall comment: "The ferret got to fly, in the end!"
- This is the thirty-third comic posted to livejournal. The previous was 28: Elefino. The next was 32: Pillar.
- The sad comment at 25: Barrel - Part 4 implying the harm to the boy and the RIP comment at 20: Ferret imply that the boy has died and joined the ferret.