341: 1337: Part 1
|1337: Part 1|
Title text: If you're not cool enough to do it manually, you can look up tools like Upside-Down-Ternet for playing games with people on your wifi.
If a wireless network is unsecured it is usually a sign that the owner of the access point is not technically skilled enough to go into the admin panel and enable encryption. Obviously, someone in the area who wants to get on the net, but doesn't have a mobile data connection, will simply use this open access point. However, it is also common practice to leave open an access point to be able to claim that infringement of copyright may not have been the homeowner, but that anybody could have connected to the access point and started downloading files.
Another fun trick, for administrators of open APs, is to intercept pages and edit their contents. The only way to stop this is to create a secure connection, or tunnel, to a server to stop the admin from playing man-in-the-middle. Of course, as the title text says, Mrs. Roberts is so cool, she can edit the tcp stream live, without the help of programs.
Not only is Mrs. Roberts awesome enough to manually edit the live tcp stream, she's also manually ending individual VPN and SSH connections as Cueball's friend makes them - while baking cookies at the same time.
All comics in "1337" series:
This series was released on 5 consecutive days (Monday-Friday) and not over the usual Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule.
- [Cueball talks to a friend who is lying down on the floor, using his laptop.]
- Cueball: You're not on the neighbour's WiFi, are you?
- Friend: Yeah, why?
- Cueball: The admin... plays games.
- Friend: No problem. I'll just hop on a secure VPN.
- Friend: Whoa, my connections are dying as soon as I start to tunnel anything!
- Message on laptop: A VPN? How cute! And stop trying to SSH.
- Friend: Holy shit! Someone's inserting notes into the pages I request! Editing the TCP stream live!
- Friend: Nobody's that fast. Who is this admin?
- [Neighbour (Mrs. Roberts) with bun tray in one hand, with oven mitts on both hands typing on a desktop computer.]
- Mrs. Roberts: My goodness. Neighbourhood scamps on the wireless.
- Cueball: I should have warned you about Mrs. Roberts.
- Friend: How does she type with oven mitts!?
- Cueball: You've been pwned pretty hard, man. You might want to sit down.