361: Christmas Back Home
|Christmas Back Home|
Title text: Family going to bed at 10 PM is so much worse than jet lag.
The script begins similarly to the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas":
- 'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
- Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The idea is that Cueball has been so used to using the computer late at night (perhaps coding, or deep into some Internet argument) that, when Santa Claus arrives, Cueball is still awake. (Note the mouse pun.)
Being forced to sleep at normal times is compared with jet lag: Sleeplessness due to your body being synchronized to another time zone, so named because jet aircraft made it possible for people to travel farther and faster. Here Cueball needs to turn back his internal clock over five hours to sync with his family. Family lag?
- Narrator: 'Twas the night before Christmas at my family's house.
- Narrator: There were no sound of stirring save the click of a mouse.
- Narrator: For 'twas just like a childhood Christmas except
- Narrator: I'd forgotten the hours that normal folks slept.
- Santa: What are you doing out of bed so late?
- Cueball: Late? It's barely 3AM!