Title text: U+FDD0 is actually Unicode for the eye of the basilisk, though for safety reasons no font actually renders it.
A basilisk is a legendary creature reputed to have the power to kill with a single glance. In this comic, Cueball learns much to his dismay that the basilisk's power is fully compatible with the 21st century, and can kill you just with a smiley emoticon over instant messaging.
Cueball's request for A/S/L is a standard question when first meeting someone online; it asks for age, sex (gender) and location.
The title text mentions U+FDD0, which in reality is the code for a "non-character" in Unicode.
- [Cueball sits at computer, typing.]
- ~!~ Opening Chat with BLSK05
- <NICKM> Hi!
- <NICKM> A/S/L?
- <BSLSK05> :)
- [Cueball looks stunned, flies backward.]
- [Two smaller frames focus in on BLSK05's emoticon, implying rotation to show a smile and two open eyes.]
- [Cueball at computer slouches in chair, dead, crossbones above his head.]
- [At the remote computer a basilisk is looking at its screen.]