384: The Drake Equation
|The Drake Equation|
Title text: But seriously, there's loads of intelligent life. It's just not screaming constantly in all directions on the handful of frequencies we search.
This comic explains the Drake equation which is a model for estimating the number of life forms in our galaxy. It adds a factor for the "Amount of bullshit you're willing to buy from Frank Drake." This is most likely due to the factors being difficult to measure or estimate with sufficient accuracy for determining a concrete number.
- The Drake Equation:
- N = R * fp ne fl fi fc L Bs
- N: Number of communicating civilizations in our galaxy
- ne: Number of life-supporting planets per solar system
- fi: Probability that life on a planet becomes intelligent
- Bs: Amount of bullshit you're willing to buy from Frank Drake