Title text: Last week, we busted the myth that electroweak gauge symmetry is broken by the Higgs mechanism. We'll also examine the existence of God and whether true love exists.
In the first and second frames, Megan can be seen accusing MythBusters of not actually "doing science" because of its lack of rigor - a debate beyond the scope of this Wiki. The zombie of deceased physicist, Richard Feynman, comes to explain to Megan that she has failed to recognize the purpose of MythBusters. He explains that MythBusters' value is getting people to accept and understand the importance of experimentation in the scientific method, and that more complex lessons (such as on rigor) would be wasted on people who don't understand those basics.
In the last frame, Cueball attempts to save himself and Megan from zombie Feynman by implying that physicists, being extremely intelligent, would have more desirable brains. Also, being a lab, the number of brains available would be higher than just two. Feynman's closing remark implies that string theorists have no brains; the joke being that string theorists are presumably less intelligent than Cueball and Megan, who were merely watching television prior to being attacked. This notion fits appropriately with Feynman's description of the core of science. Moreover, Feynman's own career involved applying physics to real world applications (such as for the Manhattan Project), whereas the work of string theorists is theoretical and untested.
The title text starts by rebounding against the complaint of validity as science by purportedly tackling a really big scientific inquiry. Then veers away into two far more esoteric proposed fields of study, of which at least one is not even determinable by the scientific method.
The web series College Humor later created a sketch in which the MythBusters try to determine if there is a God.
- [Cueball and Megan are sitting on a coach, watching Mythbusters.]
- TV: Can a ninja catch an arrow? On this episode, we'll find out!
- Cueball: Mmm, science.
- Megan: Hey, Mythbusters is entertaining, but it's not science.
- Zombie Feynman: BRAAAAAIIINNS...
- Cueball: Zombie Feynman!
- Zombie Feynman: You got a problem with Mythbusters?
- Megan: They fail at basic rigor!
- Zombie Feynman: "Ideas are tested by experiment." That is the core of science. Everything else is bookkeeping.
- Zombie Feynman: By teaching people to hold their beliefs up to experiment, Mythbusters is doing more to drag humanity out of the unscientific darkness than a thousand lessons in rigor. Show them some love.
- Zombie Feynman: Anyway, back to zombie stuff. I hunger for BRAAAAAIIINNS!
- Cueball: Uh, try the physics lab next door.
- Zombie Feynman: I said brains. All they've got are string theorists.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!