There is no xkcd comic numbered 404.
"404" is the HTTP Response Code for "Not Found". Randall deliberately skipped comic number 404 in xkcd. Therefore, when people go to xkcd 404 they get a "404 Not Found" error page.
This page exists on this wiki both to explain the joke, and to make the previous and next comic buttons work properly.
- 403: Convincing Pickup Line was published Monday March 31, 2008
- 404 was [not] published Tuesday April 1, 2008 - also April Fool's day
- 405: Journal 3 was published Wednesday April 2, 2008
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Maybe it was skipped because he had to. In some, if not all websites, there's the 404.html file that is displayed when there's a 404 error (example: /var/www/404.html/), so it would have shown the '404' page that existed the whole time, because xkcd.com/404 would have shown 404.html.184.108.40.206 22:58, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
- But there's a 401, a 402, a 403, 405, a 451. If it was done because an error code got in the way, he would have had to skip these too (and going to them manually would show the respective error pages). Also, comic 404's page appears to be the server's default 404 page, which probably isn't even stored in the same directory as the comics. Hppavilion1 (talk) 21:28, 10 August 2016 (UTC)
- "404.html" is merely the default name for a 404 page in several web server configurations. It can be easily changed or disabled and most definitely did not factor into the comic's creation. Zekesonxx (talk) 02:17, 18 October 2016 (UTC)
April 1st, 2008 was a Tuesday, so no xkcd comic would have normally come out then. For that week, xkcd 403 was Monday, March 31st, 2008, xkcd 405 was Wednesday, April 2nd, and xkcd 406 was Friday, April 4th. 404 was just skipped. It is also skipped in the "previous comic"/"next comic" links on his site. I don't think it was an April Fools gag. Blaisepascal (talk) 19:03, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
- Well, I'd say that it certainy might be. In any case, it's an interesting observation! St.nerol (talk) 11:22, 23 November 2012 (UTC)
- Then again, his skipping from 403 to 405 (making 404 come up "404: Not Found") may have been his April Fool joke that year. The timing may have been coincidental, but I don't blame him for taking advantage of it. --Aaron of Mpls (talk) 23:16, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- No, because there was already another April's Fool joke in 2008: xkcd, Questionable Content and Dinosaur Comics rotated their content (). However the timing does seem quite suspicious. -- Xorg (talk) 21:52, 16 April 2013 (UTC)
This entry isn't on the list of all comics 1-500, and I made the mistake of adding this comic to the list. I was about to add an explanation, with a link to a webcomic about it, when I found this page. I think that this page should be liked in the all comics 1-500 list so that others don't make the same mistake and so that curious people can easily get to it. Rylon (talk) 18:10, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- The link is changed.--Dgbrt (talk) 18:55, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- The hidden link
Nobody did find that hidden link? A shame. Just a simple test on this http://www.xkcd.com/test/ gives me a link to this comic: 1335: Now. And this page still appears like it was on the original release date on February 26 this year. I'm pretty sure there is still a link, some avant-garde, and Randall still giggles about that nobody did find this within six years. --Dgbrt (talk) 23:12, 10 March 2014 (UTC)
- Actually, you may be interested to note that xkcd.com/test now links to the Lorenz comic (#1350). 220.127.116.11 15:16, 16 April 2014 (UTC)
- It keeps changing then... Today it was 1367: Installing. It was 12, then 15 and now 19 days between the test and the day the link pointed at it. Kynde (talk) 15:00, 31 May 2014 (UTC)
- Now it's 1446: Landing. --18.104.22.168 22:56, 25 November 2014 (UTC)
- 1485: Friendship now --Kynde (talk) 07:52, 1 April 2015 (UTC)
- And now it links to 1664: Mycology Zorlax the Mighty would like to connect on Linkedin (talk) 21:52, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
- Today almost two years after last post it was 1812: Onboarding. Wrote here because of today's comic 1969: Not Available which references 404 error message --Kynde (talk) 20:33, 20 March 2018 (UTC)