Title text: ...
Black Hat, the cool-headed troll, has the tables turned on him. Almost always seen antagonizing other characters, this comic shows him in a rare moment of losing face. Megan notices Black Hat facing away from Cueball and her, and decides to play a simple, childish prank on him: sneaking up from behind and shouting "Boo!".
She succeeds in startling Black Hat. Most likely out of humiliation, he hides himself completely in his hat. For a moment, it looks like Black Hat has disappeared altogether. But then his hat inches away, showing that he's still underneath. It is possible that he was set on edge by Danish, as the period from journals 3-5 was clearly an emotional time for him.
Both gags in this comic work by playing on our expectations. The first is an unexpected moment of realism: we are so used to seeing Black Hat cool and untroubled that we are surprised at the reminder that everyone's appearance is, to some extent, a facade. Black Hat is still human. The second gag, on the other hand, is the opposite: we are so used to understanding the stick figures as representing humans that we're caught by surprise to see a literal interpretation of a stick figure, with minimal volume, folding up into a hat.
The title text is only "...", like in 82: Frame or 455: Hats. It's a somewhat surreal comic, and any further commentary might have detrimentally brought it down to Earth which could also be said of these two other comics. The comic Hats is related to this one as it is also about black hats and how the usually all powerful Black Hat becomes the smaller one, there not in size but in tallness of hat towers.
- [Cueball and Megan standing to one side, she is looking at Cueball while pointing both at Cueball and at Black Hat who is standing some distance away facing away from them in this wide panel.]
- [Zoom in as Megan sneaks up close to Black Hat who now looks a little upwards, in this normal sized panel.]
- [An inserted panel only half the hight of the normal panels, but with it's top lifted slightly above their levels and with it's frame crossing both the previous and the next normal. It shows a close-up of Megan with hands raised while shouting.]
- Megan: Boo!
- [Only Black Hat is shown in this thin panel. He looks shocked indicated by him taking his hands to his face, lines behind his head and that his hat jumps up above his head, showing that he has a bit of hair under it.]
- [The next three panels is even thinner than the previous, but they stay the same size. First the hat falls down over Black Hat's head down to his shoulders, without the hat changes size. The movement is indicated with two lines above the hat. Black Hat crosses his arms across his chest and bends in the knees.]
- [Then the hat keeps falling over his body, swallowing it so only his legs below his knees are visible.]
- [Finally the hat hits the ground with a large sound, also indicated with seven "U" shaped lines around the hat. There is no sign of Black Hat.]
- [The last two panels is in another row below the previous panel, but there are no panels under the two first panels in the first row. This could indicate that time has passed, or is just a way to create a dramatic effect as with all the other changes in panel size and position above. This panels width is somewhere between the first two panels. Cueball and Megan looks at the hat, Cueball with a hand in front of his mouth.]
- [The last panel is as wide as the first, but extends further to the right than the last panel in he first row, again breaking the symmetry. Megan and Cueball still looks on (both with hands down) as the hat begins to crawl away. The movement makes sounds and is indicated with four lines behind the hat now further away from the two.]
- Scooch Scooch Scooch
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!