Title text: ...
Black Hat, the cool-headed troll, has the tables turned on him. Almost always seen antagonizing other characters, this comic shows him in a rare moment of losing face. Megan notices Black Hat facing away from Cueball and her, and decides to play a simple, childish prank on him: sneaking up from behind and shouting "Boo!".
She succeeds in startling Black Hat. Most likely out of humiliation, he hides himself completely in his hat. For a moment, it looks like Black Hat has disappeared altogether. But then his hat inches away, showing that he's still underneath. It is possible that he was set on edge by Danish, as the period from journals 3-5 was clearly an emotional time for him.
Both gags in this comic work by playing on our expectations. The first is an unexpected moment of realism: we are so used to seeing Black Hat cool and untroubled that we are surprised at the reminder that everyone's appearance is, to some extent, a facade. Black Hat is still human. The second gag, on the other hand, is the opposite: we are so used to understanding the stick figures as representing humans that we're caught by surprise to see a literal interpretation of a stick figure, with minimal volume, folding up into a hat.
- [Cueball and Megan standing to one side, looking and pointing at Black Hat who is facing away.]
- [Megan sneaks up on Black Hat.]
- [Close-up of Megan with hands raised.]
- Megan: BOO!
- [Black Hat looks shocked, and his hat jumps.]
- [The hat falls down over his head.]
- [The hat keeps falling, with only his legs still visible.]
- [The hat hits the ground.]
- [Cueball and Megan look at the hat.]
- [The hat scurries away.]
- SCOOCH SCOOCH SCOOCH
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!