416: Zealous Autoconfig
Title text: I hear this is an option in the latest Ubuntu release.
Cueball is seen in an attempt to connect his laptop to a Wi-Fi network using (as the comic title suggests) a particularly zealous "Wifi Autoconfig" utility. The utility manages to find a secure access point named "Lenhart Family" (which is presumably Miss Lenhart's home Wi-Fi access point) and attempts to connect to it.
Instead of requesting a password, the progam first automatically attempts using "common" passwords (known as a dictionary attack). Failing this, it attempts to exploit a WEP vulnerability, which surprises Cueball. This also fails, possibly because Miss Lenhart used WPA instead of WEP.
In the third panel, the autoconfig then connects to Cueball's Bluetooth phone and uses it to call a local school and finds that the Lenhart children are attending.
In the fourth panel, the autoconfig notifies "field agents" to kidnap the Lenhart children, then starts "negotiating" with their parents. Cueball, frightened by these actions, repeatedly presses Ctrl-C in an attempt to cancel the process, with little success. Ctrl+C is used to abort programs started from a terminal (Unix/Linux) or a command line prompt (cmd.exe under Windows). Part of the humor is that he only attempts to cancel quite late in the process, well after (for instance) the school was first called.
The title text mentions Ubuntu, a Linux distribution that attempts to be as user friendly as possible.
- [Cueball sitting on a chair with his laptop in his lap.]
- Laptop: Starting WiFi autoconfig... searching for WiFi... Found no open networks.
- Laptop: Found secure net SSID "Lenhart Family"
- Laptop: Trying common passwords... Failed. Checking for WEP Vulnerabilities...
- Cueball: Um.
- Laptop: None found.
- [Cueball still sitting with laptop in his lap, but hand is on chin. Phone on table across room starts vibrating.]
- Laptop: Connecting to Bluetooth phone... Calling local school... Found Lenhart children.
- [Cueball furiously typing on his laptop.]
- Laptop: Notifying field agents. Children acquired. Calling Lenhart parents. Negotiating for WiFi password...