471: Aversion Fads
Title text: Hey, are you friends with any hamsters? This kite needs a passenger.
To start, furries are people who are extreme animal "fans". Typically these are depicted as anthropomorphic cartoon or anime animals, but could also be real animals. And so, fans of said cartoons act out as their favorite animal by wearing ears and/or tails, sometimes building full fursuits to wear. Of course, there are a significant number of furries who take their interest even further, being very open about their more "intimate" interests, and even engaging in such acts with other people in real life, sometimes even in their fursuits (which may be specifically designed for such "adult" uses). This has caused other people to view furries in general with disgust.
Here, we see Cueball and a friend, who are grossed out that there is a furry (noted by the kid's fox ears and tail) near them. Megan then calls for the furry to help her with her kite. The way this turns out, she also thinks that furries are gross, but she is also irritated by the fact that a lot of people on the Internet are involved with a lot of weird things that may gross out or otherwise offend the general population, yet the Internet in general frequently mocks furries for engaging in essentially the same things. This hypocrisy bothers the woman, so she takes whatever opportunity she has to defend furries, who are, after all, people of the Internet.
Hearing this, the furry brings up the fable of the lion and the mouse (from Aesop). This fable talks about a lion who spares a mouse from being eaten, since the mouse's promise that he would repay the lion gave the lion a good laugh. In the story, the lion later gets caught in a trap and the mouse chews through the cords, freeing the lion. The furry now has a debt to repay Megan, but before we can get to that Megan curtails the simile, preferring not to use an animal-bondage-based analogy which might possibly arouse the furry.
In the title text, Megan realizes that her kite needs a passenger. So, she asks the furry if he has any hamster friends. Being a furry, this could be either real hamsters (which could be tied to the kite), or people who enjoy dressing as a hamster (which would probably be too large to be tied to the kite and remain buoyant).
- [Two guys stand together as a young guy dressed up with small ears and a tail approaches.]
- Cueball: Oh God, a furry. Don't let it touch you.
- [The Furry hears someone call out to him]
- Off-screen: Hey, kid.
- [Megan is seen preparing a kite to be flown.]
- Megan: Forget those assholes. Come help me.
- [The Furry begins to help Megan set up the kite.]
- Furry: Thanks. So you're cool with furries?
- Megan: Well, I think your fetish is weird as hell. It just bothers me how you're this designated Internet punching bag among people who are otherwise down with weird fetishes. So I stick up for you when I can.
- [The kite now successfully up in the air, the two continue.]
- Furry: Well, thanks. I owe you one.
- Megan: It's no big deal.
- Furry: No, this is like the lion and the mouse.
- Megan: ...Listen, can we pick a comparison less likely to turn you on?
- Furry: Sorry.