Title text: Supercollider? I 'ardly know her!
Cueball uses this concern when telling Megan this could be their last night on Earth, but since the scene is in a bar it is more likely that he just wants to stay the next night together with her. Megan answers as a physicist and expresses scientists have determined that the fears are unfounded.
Cueball feels rejected by her answer and leaves her, but she calls him back and he continues the conversation by using three of the six Quark flavors in his first sentence (Up quark, Charm quark, and Strange quark). Megan is impressed and asks if she has to be on top or bottom (Top quark and Bottom quark). Then, while Cueball explains that he hasn't even bought her a drink, Megan does the order, just straight down (Down quark).
The quarks are some fundamental particles the LHC is generating. All six flavors of quarks are in the last panel: Up, Charm, Strange, Top, Bottom, and Down.
The title text is of course a very old joke "I 'ardly know her!", using this at the wrong moment it could be bad for a nice romance.
- [A bar.]
- Cueball: So, the LHC's turning on. This could be our last night on earth.
- Megan: Gimme a break. They're not even colliding yet, and it won't do anything cosmic rays haven't.
- [Cueball starts to turn away.]
- Megan: Hey, I didn't say no.
- Megan: I'm a physics grad student. I need the excuse to party.
- Cueball: So, you're up for a night with a charming stranger?
- Megan: Depends. Top or bottom?
- Cueball: Hey, I haven't even bought you a drink.
- Megan: Barkeep, two whiskey sours, straight down.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!