Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Title text: Somewhere in the world, my actual grandmothers are reading this and angrily exclaiming that I never write even malformed thank-you notes. DEAR GRANDMOMS: I AM SORRY! YOU ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE AND THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING LOVE reddit.com RANDALL.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: I was able to get the basics but still needs work.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
is writing a letter to his grandmother on a typewriter, thanking her for taking them on a trip. However, because of a very specific muscle memory he developed after working in Firefox
for so long, Randall litters the letter with large chunks of whitespace followed by website URLs. What's happening is that Randall is attempting to switch to a different "tab" with the Ctrl+Tab command, then open a specific website in that tab, before using the Ctrl+Tab command a second time to return to the message he was typing. If Randall were typing an email this wouldn't be a problem, but since he's on a typewriter all he's doing is making a huge mess.
add a comment!
- [A typewriter is shown with the following letter in it:
- Dear Grandmom, cnn.com
- I hope this reddit.com letter
- finds you well. I wanted to say I
- really news.google.com enjoyed the
- trip you boingboing.net took us on,
- and am looking forward to bbc.co.uk
- visiting later fivethirtyeight.com
- this year.
- Love, slashdot.org
- Your grandson,]
- I didn't realize how bad my habit of tabbing to Firefox every few seconds to check news sites had gotten until I tried writing on a typewriter.
The spaces are because he's trying to alt-tab. 188.8.131.52 22:21, 31 January 2013 (UTC)mr
- You are absolutely correct, and the is much more missing. So I did tag this as incomplete.--Dgbrt (talk) 18:31, 19 September 2013 (UTC)