Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This comic depicts a game of Scrabble, a popular board game where the goal is to form words with the letters in your hand. The joke here is that the obvious option here is the word "clitoris", which is an inappropriate word for a family Scrabble game, but gives a 50-point bonus for using all seven tiles. The title text points out that the letters in the hand can also form the word "OSTRICH", which is family friendly, but much lower scoring and not as obvious.
As the H appears to be on the center star square, the narrator will score 63 points if he plays "CLITORIS" (however he uses the two Is, as three of the tiles will fall on double letter scores), and 13 points if he plays "OSTRICH".
- [A first-person view of a family scrabble game at a table. The two letters on the board are 'HI' and the letters in your hand are 'CLTORIS.']
- This always happens to me in family Scrabble games.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Does anyone know the points for "Ostrich", "Historic", and "Coistril"? I know the game but I don't have it at home.--Dgbrt (talk) 18:25, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
- Not sure what double word type modifiers they have but here are the base scores:
clitoris 10 + 50
- Choosing historic would be the best family friendly option, but is a far less desirable choice. 188.8.131.52 05:43, 7 July 2013 (UTC)
- The only placement for historic would get it onto the triple word score with one doubled letter, making 42. Still nowhere near coistril or clitoris, though (which can both get the 50 point bonus and the double letter score for the C). 184.108.40.206 21:25, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
Please do a separate post and do not destroy the former discussions.--Dgbrt (talk) 22:49, 5 September 2013 (UTC)
Update by 220.127.116.11:
- 18.104.22.168 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- The best option would be lictors and hic, scoring 71 points. 22.214.171.124 14:48, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- Any prove? --Dgbrt (talk) 23:19, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
Randall uses the word "Ostrich" as an alternate word, but "Historic" or "Coistril" would gain more points. -- Matchup (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
Top 17 Options taking into account what of the board opens up.
[Hic/Lictors 71points], [Lictors/Chi, 69 points], [Hit/Lictors, 69 points], [His/Lictors, 69 points],
[Lictors/Sh, 69 points], [Lictors/Li, 69points], [Trochils, 64 points], [Clitoris, 63 points]x2,
[Coistril, 63]x2, [Historic, 42], [Col/Oh/Li, 17 points], [Hic/Col, 15 points], [Hit/Lotic, 21 points],
[Chi/Col, 14 points], [Li, 3 points]
Top 14 Scoring words
[Lictors, 64-69]x6, [Trochils, 64], [Clitoris, 63]x2, [Coistril, 63]x2, [Historic, 42], [Lotic,21],
[Lictor,18-20]x3, [Colts,19], [Cots,18]x2, [Cost,18]x2, [Colt,18], [Cols,18], [Cist,18], [Scot,18]
Ostrich is a bad plan either way. 126.96.36.199