Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This comic depicts a game of Scrabble, a popular board game where the goal is to form words with the letters in your hand. The joke here is that the obvious option here is the word "clitoris" (a part of the female genitalia), which is an inappropriate word for a family Scrabble game, but gives a 50 point bonus for using all seven tiles. The title text points out that the letters in the hand can also form the word "OSTRICH", which is family friendly but much lower scoring.
- [A first-person view of a family scrabble game at a table. The two letters on the board are 'HI' and the letters in your hand are 'CLTORIS.']
- This always happens to me in family Scrabble games.
add a comment!
- Randall uses the word "Ostrich" as an alternate word, but "Historic" or "Coistril" would gain more points.
Does anyone know the points for "Ostrich", "Historic", and "Coistril"? I know the game but I don't have it at home.--Dgbrt (talk) 18:25, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
- Not sure what double word type modifiers they have but here are the base scores:
clitoris 10 + 50
- Choosing historic would be the best family friendly option, but is a far less desirable choice. 22.214.171.124 05:43, 7 July 2013 (UTC)
- The only placement for historic would get it onto the triple word score with one doubled letter, making 42. Still nowhere near coistril or clitoris, though (which can both get the 50 point bonus and the double letter score for the C). 126.96.36.199 21:25, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
Please do a separate post and do not destroy the former discussions.--Dgbrt (talk) 22:49, 5 September 2013 (UTC)
Update by 188.8.131.52:
- 184.108.40.206 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)