Title text: Unless the CS students finish the robot revolution before you finish the cephalopod one.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: |
Please include the reason why this explanation is incomplete, like this:
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic references multiple themes:
1) The Cephalopods' Revolution, with their many appendages, distance communication, mimicry and camouflage, presents the greatest threat to mankind out of all the classes of animals. The cuttlefish is a Cephalopod. It is also slightly ironic to be attacked by a cuttlefish, because it sounds like 'cuddle fish'.
2) There is some rivalry among the main branches of science, with various statements meant to show one's branch to be superior or more important and deserved of funding than others.
3) The title text - CS stands for Computer science. The "robot revolution" references events in film, such as Terminator and The Matrix, as well as literature (Asimov's "I, Robot"), wherein robots, having become commonplace in the workforce, achieve independent thought and declare war on humanity.
Randall jokes that each branch of science/research is working toward their own world domination scheme, centered on their specific science. In the comic, Randall attempts to befriend biology majors so that he will be spared during their takeover of the world, but in the title text he reveals that he only wishes to side with whatever group achieves world domination first.
- We visit a bio lab: [Cueball and Megan visit a bio lab where they look into a tank that the scientists point at.]
- Scientist: These are cuttlefish.
- [Image of a cuttlefish.]
- Scientist: They're frighteningly smart, have manipulating arms and tentacles, have ink jets, can dart backwards and see the polarization of light through their w-shaped pupils. And their sides are 200 dpi display screens which they use for camouflage and communication.
- Scientist: When we realized how intelligent they were, we began to teach them. They've advanced quickly. Cuttlefish: GO.
- [Cuttlefish float out of the tank at Cueball and Megan.]
- Cuttlefishes: Kill the physicists... kill the physicists
- [Cuttlefish zap Cueball and Megan as they fall.]
- [Cueball waking up from his sleep.]
- Cueball: Oh god. I knew it.
- Salutes Bio Majors
- [Bottle is pouring into a flask, and a man takes the flask and drinks from it.]
- If we join you against the chemists, will you train your fleshy minions to leave us alive?