Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
The joke here is the reverse of an old joke that appeared in rec.humor.funny. In the original, the story-teller reports that he made a wish with a hard-of-hearing genie for a twelve inch penis and instead got a twelve inch pianist. In this version, Cueball wished for the twelve inch pianist to hard-of-hearing genie, and instead received a twelve-inch penis, to Megan's interest.
The title text is saying that if Cueball had made a smaller miniature piano, he might have wished for a smaller "pianist" to play it and received an unfortunate size reduction.
- [Cueball is holding a box with an open lid. A miniature piano is inside. Megan is looking at it]
- Cueball: My hobby is making miniatures. Check this out — it's a fully-functional grand piano.
- Megan: Woah — beautiful.
- [Cueball looks at the miniature piano.]
- Cueball: Sadly, I've never heard what proper music sounds like on it—the keys are too small to play.
add a comment!
- [Cueball closes lid to the piano.]
- Cueball: I once asked a genie for someone who could play it for me, but I think he misheard.
- Megan: ...are you doing anything later?
Maybe I'm wrong here, but by looking at the size of the piano compared with Cueball and having read the title text, I wonder if the joke might be that he wished for a 4-5 inch penis instead? I wasn't sure enoough to go ahead an change it though. Athang (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- If you look at the piano compared to Cueball's forearm plus hand, they are approximately the same length. Considering how the average male human is slightly shorter in height (1.7 m) than a grand piano is long (2 m), a to-scale pianist would be slightly shorter than Cueball's forearm. The average length of a 1.7 m tall person's forearm plus hand is about 47 cm, so the pianist would need to be about 40 cm. (1.7:2 = 0.85 ratio. 47 cm * 0.85 = 40 cm.) 40 cm is almost 16 inches. In 526: Converting to Metric, 14 cm is labeled "penis", and according to the Kinsey Institute, the largest medically recorded was 13.5 inches (34 cm).
- Alternatively, the title text might have been saying "Good thing [the genie] didn't make [his penis] smaller [than it was before?], or [his penis would] need someone three inches tall to play [with] it." Tryc (talk) 15:20, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
Currently, this comic is listed as being in the "My Hobby" series, but it doesn't fit the series description. It's not phrased as if this is Randall's hobby, it's more situation-specific than the other My Hobby comics, and the title doesn't start with "My Hobby:". Should it be removed from the list? Sciepsilon (talk) 22:19, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- The first two words from Cueball are: "My hobby...". The category is appropriate here. --Dgbrt (talk) 18:16, 6 October 2013 (UTC)