535: It Might Be Cool
|It Might Be Cool|
Title text: 'And ovaries. Man, ovaries, huh?' [awkward pause] '... faithfully.'
On January 20, 2009 the inauguration of Barack Obama's first office took place. Chief Justice John Roberts, who was administering the oath, made a mistake while reciting the words. This comic references the event and exaggerates the deviation from the oath for comedic purposes.
In truth, the error was much smaller: the oath as prescribed in the constitution is:
- I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Due to a missed memo on the pauses planned by the Chief Justice, Obama inadvertently interrupted Roberts during the first phrase. Roberts, who was not using notes, rendered the next phrase as "that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully," misplacing the word faithfully and saying president to instead of president of. Obama repeated, "that I will execute", then paused. Roberts attempted to correct the wording, but stumbled: "the off— faithfully the pres— the office of President of the United States." Obama then repeated Roberts' initial incorrect wording.
- [Cueball is administering the presidential oath to a friend.]
- Cueball: You know, it might be cool to be a woman.
- Friend: It... might be cool to be a woman?
- Cueball: Yeah, but the menstruation thing is freaky.
- Friend: Yeah, but... the, um. What?
- Turns out I'm even worse at administering the presidential oath than John Roberts.