Title text: I'll concede ergonomics anecdotally, but none of the studies of Dvorak were at all rigorous (the most-cited Navy study was overseen by Dvorak himself). And the 'slow typists down' thing is a myth. Also EMACS RULES VI DROOLS WOOOOOOO!
Uncomfortable truths are truths that exist, but no one wants to have to think about them.
The first is about Firefly the TV series created by Joss Whedon and canceled by FOX, due to poor ratings performance, after airing the first 13 episodes out-of-order. In Firefly, the main languages spoken are English and Chinese (in equal measure), because China was the only other world power besides America to go to space (Joss Whedon's own explanation on the DVDs). However, there are very few actual Asians on-screen.
Dr. August Dvorak introduced the Dvorak keyboard layout in 1936 that is supposed to be far superior to the QWERTY keyboard layout. However, Dvorak has not replaced QWERTY, despite it being "better".
The title text perpetuates the Emacs vs. vi debate.
All comics in the Well series:
- 561: Well
- 568: Well 2
- [A sign sits by a well.]
- The Uncomfortable Truths Well
- [A guy and Ponytail are lined up for the well; the guy throws a coin in.]
- Well: For a universe that's supposed to be half Chinese, Firefly sure doesn't have any Asians.
- [The guy is gone, a couple arrives behind Ponytail; Ponytail throws a coin in.]
- Well: There's no solid evidence DVORAK's better than QWERTY. The standard histories are urban legends.
- [Just the couple remain; Cueball throws another coin in.]
- Well: You've never said "I love you" and meant it. It was always just words.
- [Megan now throws in a coin.]
- Well: You meant it every time.