Title text: I love how Google handles dimensional analysis. Stats are ballpark and vary wildly based on time of day and whether your mom is in town.
Fermi and Hart developed an equation for estimating the probability of intelligent life existing within a certain size sphere of the universe. A similar equation is proposed to estimate the circle within which it is probable two people are having sex. The April Fool's joke is that the equation does not predict if they are having sex with each other. The title text implies Google's more sophisticated analysis programs would also take into account the time of day people are more likely to have sex. It also incorporates the running gag about "your mom", her sexual activity, and how that influences the estimates.
- Pd Regional Population Density (e.g. 18,600/mi²)
- Xf Average Person's Frequency of Sex (e.g. 80/Year)
- Xd Average Duration of Sex (e.g. 30 Minutes)
- On average, someone within distance r of you is having sex.
- [Cueball standing at easel.]
- Cueball: Mmm, That probable couple 150 meters away is so hot. Oh yeah, theoretically work it, baby.
- From out of frame: Hey! No statistical voyeurism!