Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
One of the comics in the "My Hobby" series, this one touches on the fact that Papyrus (the font) - the font of this description - is considered to be overused by many typography geeks, including the font's own creator. Pretending that he doesn't know that, Cueball gives Ponytail a heartfelt card written in that font just to see her twitch.
The title text says that Randall actually likes Papyrus, even if it is overused, and refers to the fact that he will soon be receiving hate-mails from people who dislike Papyrus. Those e-mails will be written in Helvetica, another commonly-used sans-serif font that is highly esteemed by typography geeks, designers, and often hipsters. Those would call that font for beautifully-kerned. See also 1015: Kerning.
- [Caption above the panel:]
- My Hobby:
- Getting typography geeks heartfelt cards printed in "Papyrus" and watching them struggle to act grateful.
- [Ponytail is holding a card, with lines of indiscernible text, open and looking down, specifically neither on the card nor on Cueball, who is watching her instead. An angry tic is flicking on her forehead.]
- Ponytail: Thank you for the *twitch* ... lovely... *twitch* birthday card!
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
For reasons that should be obvious, I've put the whole page in a certain much-hated font. *Cackles maniacally.* PinkAmpersand (talk) 11:15, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- I rather doubt whether this is really helpful. In my opinion, the purpose of this wiki is to deliver background information about the comics, not to ruminate its jokes. Besides, the page uses some Serif font for me (as I do not have Papyrus installed) which is stylistically inconsistent. If we should reach consent that this page MUST absolutely be in Papyrus, we should at least provide some appropriate fallback font. LotharW (talk) 12:46, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- 1167: Star Trek into Darkness Davidy²²[talk] 13:04, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
- I must say I do not particularly like that page either. I think it looks childish and nonserious. Also, a second example does not necessarily justify the first. But as you see, I did not revert or change anything. If it be so, we should at least do it correctly. In the current state, the page looks simply strange to anyone who does not have the font. (As far as I know, it was included only in some versions of Microsoft Office.) Does anybody know whether the license allows web embedding? LotharW (talk) 13:54, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
Over the years I have grown a hatred towards Papyrus because it's so overused, so this comic resonated with me well. But then this week I watched Firefly and Serenity which are now both my favorite TV show and movie, and they use Papyrus. I know Randall also loves them. But now I have no idea how I should feel about the font, as I would be rather hypocritical to hate the font used so heavily in my favorite show and movie. Keavon (talk) 01:48, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
I feel the same way about the "Algerian" font. The most over used business sign font ever. 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
NYEH HEH HEH! -Pennpenn 126.96.36.199 04:06, 4 December 2015 (UTC)
- This was expected, and it is great (incidental music from sans), though this comic came before Undertale. 188.8.131.52 15:46, 15 June 2016 (UTC)
My Favorite font is Comic Sans :) 184.108.40.206 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)