Title text: But if you unplug everything, it gets so quiet you hear that high-pitched empty-room hum. And then the whispers begin.
Megan is attempting to stay a weekend at home without the Internet, but Cueball doubts she can do it. She turns off her computer and stands up triumphantly, only to log back on and tell Cueball that it's not half bad, violating her original attempt as she clearly used a computer to send the message to Cueball.
The title text elaborates on Megan's addiction, saying that when she turns off all of the machines in the room, it results in an "empty-room hum". This is a high pitched buzzing noise, which it is suggested results from the brain increasing its sensitivity to noises. This is a fairly normal experience, but the "whispers" mentioned may be slightly more sinister, as this is often frequently associated as a sign of schizophrenia.
- [Cueball is typing at a computer.]
- Computer: Constant novelty saps my initiative. I'm gonna try to spend a weekend at home without internet.
- Cueball: I give you an hour.
- [Megan stands up, turns off the computer in front of her.]
- [Megan stands proudly in front of the computer.]
- [Cueball is at his computer.]
- Computer: So far, it's not actually too bad!
- Cueball: Ahem?
- Computer: Wait. Shit.