Title text: My biology grad student friends tell me that different types of alcohol don't actually have different effects. I trust their expertise, not because of the 'biology'; part, but because of the 'grad student'.
On July 16, 2009, Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates was arrested at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts by police officer Sgt. James Crowley, after the police department received a call that Gates and another man were breaking and entering into the residence. Returning home from a visit to China, Gates had found his front door jammed, and tried to force it open with the help of his driver.
Arriving at the scene, Crowley (a Caucasian) arrested the African-American Gates after a confrontation, charging him with disorderly conduct. The charges were dropped on July 21, but the incident sparked a national debate about racial profiling.
On July 22, U.S. President Barack Obama criticized the arrest, saying that the Cambridge police "acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof he was in his own home." He also commented on the racial undertones of the incident, saying that "there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact."
The president's remarks were furiously criticized by the law-enforcement community, and President Obama apologized two days later, saying that he could have chosen his words better, and it wasn't his intention to malign the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley. He also invited Gates and Crowley to discuss the situation over beers to air out their differences and come to an understanding about the situation.
This comic explores a hypothetical situation in which President Obama found he was all out of beer, and chooses to share tequila with Gates and Crowley instead. In pop culture, tequila is frequently represented as the "let's-get-trashed" alcohol of choice, and so in the comic, President Obama, Professor Gates and Sgt. Crowley all get trashed on tequila, take a White House limo on a joyride, and end up behind bars.
- [A bearded man with glasses and a police man are swearing at each other on a stoop.]
- [The bearded man is sitting behind bars.]
- [The President is standing at a podium with a fancy logo on the front.]
- President: To defuse this misunderstanding, I've invited both men to have a beer with me at the White House.
- [The policeman, the bearded man, and the president are in a room with a couch and an oval carpet.]
- [The president is looking in a cabinet.]
- President: Actually, it seems we're out of beer.
- Voice: Is there anything else?
- [The president sees a bottle of Tequila.]
- [The Presidential Limo is being driven at high speed. The bearded man and the policeman are standing out of the sunroof. The policeman is waving his hat and holding the bottle of tequila.]
- All: WOOOOOOOOOOOO
- [The policeman, the bearded man, and the president are sitting behind bars.]