Title text: A century later, the harrowing flight of the survivors from Oregon was dramatized in a popular video game.
The Oregon Trail was a popular video game which described the journey to Oregon, and the player started his or her journey in 1848. Most players were grade-school students. The game was very popular, and thousands of players played it monthly. To achieve the highest score, most players bought the minimum amount of food and hunted for their meals. In general, the slower the prey the more meat the prey has. Large animals (bison, bears, etc.) were very easy and rewarding targets, while smaller prey (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) were faster and provided less food. As the player travels, he or she is prone to dysentery, typhoid, measles, cholera, and other diseases.
The title text implies that the players of the game were actual people who died on the journey to Oregon.
- [Timeline, with relevant images next to each date.]
- [Two men stand at the edge of a cliff. One has a walking staff.]
- Arrival of Lewis & Clark
- Early settlers arrive
- Oregon trail established
- Larger western migration begins
- [A horse is pulling a covered wagon. A gun peeks out the back.]
- Huge wave of 500,000+ settlers arrives from Missouri. Largely children and adolescents, most bring nothing but cartloads of bullets for hunting.
- [Two men with rifles aim at something.]
- Overhunting begins to devastate ecosystem
- Dysentery epidemic
- [Tombstones. Bodies.]
- Shooting deaths skyrocket
- Typhoid epidemic
- Measles epidemic
- Cholera epidemic
- All mammals larger than squirrels wiped out by overhunting.
- Massive famine
- [Sun low over a land, devoid of life. Scattered remains of corpses.]
- Last survivors flee
- Oregon territory abandoned