Title text: Fine, walk away. I'm gonna go cry into a pint of Ben&Jerry's Brownie Batter(tm) ice cream [link], then take out my frustration on a variety of great flash games from PopCap Games(r) [link]
Rob is having online chats with what appears at first glance to be a woman. However, he grows suspicious at the apparent consumerism dedication of the "woman" - and perhaps of the perfection of the online connection, touching on the stereotypical nerd fear that any relationship going well must contain some secret flaw - and so requests that they both "get tested". The woman on the other end of the computer does not pass a CAPTCHA test and is unable to prove she is a human.
This is an internet version of the Turing test. A spambot is a program that sends out emails or links such as in the title text to simulate a human's writing but contains advertising. This test is called "VK", which stands for Voight-Kampff, which is an empathy test in the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and film Blade Runner which determines human from replicant.
In using the phrase "get tested", the comic is making a pun that refers both to the CAPTCHA test above and the STD or VD test that couples will take to make sure they are physically free of communicable diseases.
The name "Lisa" may be an allusion to ELIZA, one of the first chatbots, written in 1966. According to its (hers?) creator, people became "quickly and deeply emotionally involved with the computer program" during the chat.
The title text is the spambot's last sad goodbye — it includes lots of product advertisements and links, such as an online advertiser may insert into a search results page.
329: Turing Test is another comic dealing with Turing tests/CAPTCHAs.
- [Rob is sitting at a computer, typing.]
- Rob: I've loved our online chats these past few months, Lisa.
- Computer: Me too. I really like you, Rob.
- [Rob continues to type.]
- Rob: It's just... now and then you mention products you like, and... I worry.
- Computer: What? Honey...
- [Rob types.]
- Rob: Before this goes any further, I think we should go get tested. You know, together.
- Computer: You don't trust me?
- Rob: I just want to be sure.
- [A web browser is open.]
- VK Couples Testing
- Test ID: 21871138
- Waiting...Partner connected.
- (A pair of CAPTCHA images)
- [You] Library
- [Partner] Kittens
- Rob: Okay, mine says "library". Yours?
- Computer: I... uh...
- Rob: Oh god.
- Computer: I'm more than a spambot! Our love was real!
- Rob: Goodbye, Lisa.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!