653: So Bad It's Worse
|So Bad It's Worse|
Title text: You think it's so legendarily bad that you'll torrent it and sit through it just for the kitschy nerd cred. I, too, once thought as you did.
The graph in the comic shows the enjoyability of movies - going from good to okay to bad, then popping back up with "So Bad It's Good". The term is used to describe movies that are so terrible that somehow wrap back around to good. The comic lists Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, two widely known films of this type.
However, the graph warns of showing The Star Wars Holiday Special, as it manages to wrap back around from "So Bad It's Good" to being bad again. The Star Wars Holiday Special is a prime-time comedy special based on Star Wars. It is widely known for its terrible quality, and has never been fully released (although an animated segment that introduced Boba Fett, which George Lucas has approved of, has been released as a bonus feature on a DVD).
The title text refers to torrents, which are a way to obtain large amounts of data over the internet. According to Munroe, he had torrented a (presumably pirated) copy of the film and then watched it, in spite of its terribleness, just to cement himself as a nerd.
- Protip: Even at "Bad Movie Night," avoid the Star Wars holiday special.
- [A graph plots movie enjoyability against movie quality. It drops steadily through points marked "Good Movie" to "Okay Movie" to "Bad Movie," rises up again for "So-Bad-It's-Good (Plan 9, Rocky Horror, etc)," and then drops off the bottom of a graph with an arrow pointing to where "Star Wars Holiday Special" would be. There are three mini-panels below the graph, arranged from "Good" to "Bad" along the movie quality axis.]
- [Three friends are on a couch, drinking and gesticulating enthusiastically.]
- [The same three are sitting quietly, with a bottle on the floor.]
- [The three are sitting around a table, drinking and looking miserable.]