Title text: Hey, gaming on wifi? You have only yourself to blame.
Megan (in one of the few comics where she is actually named) and Ponytail are playing together on an online multiplayer shooter game. Ponytail calls Cueball, who is living with Megan, and easily persuades him to make nachos. Wi-Fi and microwave ovens both use radio frequencies around 2.4 GHz, so Cueball's cooking disrupts Megan's connection and allows Ponytail to kill Megan's character. Boom! Headshot is a catchphrase made popular through a web mockumentary series called Pure Pwnage.
The title text points out that Megan has only herself to blame, as gaming on WiFi is susceptible to such issues, while gaming with a wired connection (e.g. Ethernet) is not.
Note: If using the microwave actually does interfere with your WiFi, then get another microwave. Not (strictly) because it would mess with the WiFi, but because your microwave has a hole somewhere and is leaking non-ionizing radiation it shouldn't. It won't kill you, but it's not operating at peak efficiency.
Around the time of this comic's release, the XKCD website was temporarily redesigned using Yahoo! GeoCities. Snapshots of the site at the time can be found on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
- [Cueball is on the phone with Ponytail, who's on her computer in the other half of a split panel.]
- Cueball: Hello? ... Oh, hey. Looking for Megan? She's gaming.
- Ponytail: I know. You know what's delicious? Nachos.
- [Ponytail clicks on her computer while talking.]
- Ponytail: When you layer the cheese so it gets on every chip... then smother them in sour cream and salsa...
- Cueball: Mm, that IS delicious. And I've got the ingredients, too!
- Ponytail, on phone: You should make some!
- Cueball: I will!
- Ponytail, on phone: Hurry.
- [Cueball is making nachos in the microwave.]
- Microwave: beep beep whirrrr
- Megan, at her computer: My wifi signal!
- [Ponytail who called is at her computer.]
- Computer: Boom! Headshot.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!